Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I kinda suck at this!

So.... okay.  I have a bunch of stuff to post.. pictures, recipes..  various attempts at greatness..  which I swear I will post soon (and you all know "soon" can just mean "tomorrow" or it can mean "before the end of the century or so").

I gave pickling a try -- the garden this year was completely out of control (and still is).  I managed to get some San Marzano tomatoes and also some grape and cherry tomato varieties -- they took over!  And NO BLIGHT!  WAHOO!!  except now, after..  what.. ONE application of MiracleGro..  I have harvested exactly 9,732 tomatoes, with more still coming (and blooms on the vines!!).  I also planted TWO cucumber plants which promptly went insane and have produced at least 30 cucumbers.  The last 12 ended up in jars (thus my pickling adventure).. and I have to find a way to preserve these awesome tomatoes soon or I'm going to be making sauce until it's leaking out my ears!

I also have butternut squash and string beans (which haven't been quite as prolific as the tomatoes and cukes), various peppers, celery (I know, right?) and cabbage.  I also put down asparagus and got very little response.. but they DID come up.. and the package said I would get slight yields the first year.. second year should be better..  we'll see..

Okay..  soon..  I promise!

No comments: